“Oil Spills, Cow Eyeballs?”

“Oil Spills, Cow Eyeballs?”

Elle Cochran

The Veterinary Club hosted a cow eyeball dissection lab in early October, comparing the inside of the eyeball to an oil spill. With mesmerizing colors and a glassy, oil-like look; who knew the inside of our meal’s eyes could look so intriguing? 

Behind their deadpan stares, no one expected the comparison of oil spills or Norwegian Northern Lights. Much of the contents within this dissection were due to the nutrition these animals supply their vision.  

Due to her enthusiasm within the dissection field, main vet teacher Mrs. Tallarino proctored the cow eye dissection and will be proctoring the upcoming rat dissection.

“I really like the dissections because I appreciate the hands-on learning style,” said Tallarino. “It really appeals to my visual and kinesthetic learning personality.”  

Dissections within the club provide an extension of in-class instruction, allowing club members to dive deeper into their interests. Antonio Zampino (‘23) appreciates the social aspect of the club activities as well.

“I enjoy being able to talk to my friends while also learning things through dissections or meetings,” said Zampino. “I enjoy the interactive presentations and labs that connect vet-related learning to something fun and interesting; I enjoy the “hands-on” projects a lot.” 

The Club has plans to proctor a rat dissection this upcoming January as well. All inclusive, the club welcomes students outside of the program to participate too; Standard “Accident Insurance” is needed, (If you are active in the conservatory or any sport, you likely have this already.) Proof of insurance should be printed and shown prior to the dissection lab or emailed to [email protected]. 

The Club is an excellent option for Veterinary Science program students and non-program students alike, providing opportunities and extensions of the program material with a student-led body.

“I love the aspect that the club focuses on what we can do to help make the school a safer and more enjoyable place for the dogs brought in by students and faculty members. I would like to see the club grow so other people can give back to the school and the vet magnet program,”  said Kealey Walters (‘23), member and non-program student.

Through dissections, fundraisers to support local humane societies, and collaborations with the Environmental Club, this club gives back to both the school and local communities. 

Meetings take place every Tuesday in the main vet building during lunch, anyone is welcomed to attend. More information can always be found via meetings or our club Instagram page, @tshsvetclub.